Merritt Funeral Home was first established in 1921 when Ernest Merritt bought the Hick’s Funeral Home. Originally established in the mid 1800's under other names, including Snider and W. W. Camp. After a fire in 1926, Ernest moved his business from downtown Smithville to the present location. Ernest continued to operate the funeral home until Clarence Merritt purchased it in 1944. Gove Merritt, Clarence’s son worked along with him and received his Funeral Directors license in 1949. Clarence and Gove continued to operate the family funeral home until Clarence’s death in 1963. Continuing on with the family funeral home, Gove Merritt along with his son Tom operated the funeral home until Gove’s death in 2000. Tom received his Funeral Directors License in 1986, and continues to run the family funeral home along with his wife Laurie, caring for families in West Lincoln and the surrounding communities.
We provide professional and compassionate care to families who call on us at their time of need. Assisting in the celebration of the life of a loved one by helping to plan a meaningful personalized funeral service or service of remembrance, in a caring, dignified manner, offering a full range of funeral service options to meet particular needs; culturally, religiously, and financially. We are sensitive to people of all faiths, traditions and lifestyles, for all services chosen.